What power converter do you need when travelling from Australia to Japan?

Ce message peut contenir des liens d'affiliation sur lesquels je gagne une petite commission sans frais pour vous. S'il vous plaît voir mon page de divulgation pour information.

This is an important question and can actually be a bit confusing because, in Australie, all our power outlets have a ground even if the appliance doesn’t use it. In Japon though, there are actually two kinds of electrical outlet: grounded and non-grounded.

Grounded power outlets in Japan
Grounded power outlets in Japon

The grounded outlet can accept both grounded and non-grounded appliances. The non-grounded outlet though can only take non-grounded appliances.

A non-grounded power outlet in Japan
A non-grounded power outlet in Japon

To add to the confusion, Australian appliances operate on 240v, but the Japanese power grid is 110v. So what do you do?

Travel adapters

I have a Go Worldwide Travel Double Adapter that has multiple sockets for different countries including both a grounded and non-grounded socket for Japon.

My Go worldwide travel double adapter
My Go worldwide travel double adapter

It’s important to note though, that any travel adapter sold in Australie that has been designed to meet Australian safety standards will only allow you to connect non-grounded appliances to the non-grounded outlet. The adapters are intended to prevent you from plugging a grounded appliance in. This is obviously for safety reasons. For example, on my Go Worldwide adapter, if I use the non-grounded socket, a piece of plastic physically blocks the ground port on both Australian outlets.

A grounded Australian adapter vs a non-grounded adapter
A grounded Australian adapter vs a non-grounded adapter

So, should you travel to Japon with just a grounded adapter?

Definitely not! Most hotel rooms in Japon only have non-grounded outlets. Grounded outlets are typically reserved for locations where there might be a need for them, like the hallway where a vacuum cleaner might be plugged in. Anywhere else it is common to find just non-grounded outlets.

That means you need to plan your trip, and if you can, plan to take non-grounded appliances only. Smartphones, tablets and USB-C laptops are typically all non-grounded. If your device can be charged via USB, then consider taking just non-grounded USB adapters or purchasing one when you arrive.

These Apple Japan/USA USB chargers have universal voltage support
These Apple Japon/USA USB chargers have universal voltage support

If you have to take a grounded appliance, then a cheap multi-socket adapter like the one below can be purchased in Japon that will accept grounded plugs into a non-grounded power outlet.

A multi-socket travel adapter I found at Haneda airport
A multi-socket travel adapter I found at Haneda airport

Be aware though that if your device has a ground, it may not have some of the additional protections that non-grounded devices typically have, so wherever possible it is best to use a grounded outlet or, stick to non-grounded appliances.

So what about the voltage?

Most modern appliances that are likely to travel actually are designed with multiple voltages in mind (aka universal voltage support) and can be safely used in Japon without the need for a voltage converter. To check, just find the power specifications on the device or transformer. It’s that fine print you never look at normally. It will tell you what voltage range the appliance is capable of operating within. Most laptops, tablets, phones, camera chargers and similar will probably say something like 100-240v.

A Macbook Pro charger showing universal voltage compatibility
A MacBook Pro charger showing universal voltage compatibility

If yours says something like this then you can safely use it in Japon without a voltage converter. If it doesn’t, and it only lists a narrow range around 240v then you may need a voltage converter like one of these. When your appliance doesn’t appear to operate at 110v, that doesn’t mean it won’t work anyway. For example, my Canon camera battery charger only lists 240v, yet it works fine in Japon without a converter. This is absolutely at your own risk though. I decided to try risking that charger purely because Canon camera gear primarily comes from Japon anyway. I can’t guarantee you will be so lucky.

Qatar Airways

Where can you get these adapters online?

Go Worldwide Travel double adapter

You can pick these up just about anywhere that sells travel gear in Australie, including Myers, David Jones and most bag stores. You can usually get the best prices on eBay though: Check prices on eBay

Voltage converters

These are not so readily available in stores, however, you can find many inexpensive ones on eBay here, including some that have a travel adapter built-in: 110v to 240v transformers

You can also pick them up from Amazone, including models that have a travel adapter built-in like this one: Simran SMF-100 Universal 100W Travel Voltage Converter


Usage of any Australian appliances overseas with or without any of the adapters or converters listed on this website is entirely at your own risk. While your appliances should be safe if you follow this guide, I can’t guarantee with absolute certainty that they will be and I am not liable for any damage that may result from you using your appliances in Japon with or without any of the listed adapters or converters.

Any questions?

Let me know in the comments below, and for more of my articles about our travels to Japon, click here for the Japan archive.

Laisser un commentaire

Ce site utilise Akismet pour réduire les indésirables. En savoir plus sur comment les données de vos commentaires sont utilisées.

Qui suis je?

Matt in Noumea

Matt travaille à plein temps à la gestion de son entreprise de marketing numérique, TerraMedia. Dans ses temps libres, il adore voyager avec sa femme, alors ils finissent généralement par en faire beaucoup.
La maison est l'Australie, et bien qu'ils ne passent pas tout leur temps à parcourir le monde, Matt et sa femme aiment prendre le temps de vraiment explorer et de connaître un endroit, même si cela signifie y passer beaucoup plus longtemps que les touristes normaux. .

Vous pouvez en savoir plus sur Matt et son histoire ICI.

En train de lire

Actuellement en train d'écouter

Articles populaires

Besoin d'inspiration pour savoir où aller ensuite? Consultez ces publications populaires!

Abonnez-vous maintenant pour les dernières mises à jour